Wednesday, July 1, 2009

“Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.”

Ugggg, it is so hard to exercise in the heat. I can't believe it is already July, where is 2009 going? I’m thinking I might go for a run tonight because I was slightly misbehaved today. I had pizza, which I try not to do unless it’s homemade. And today I made carrot cupcakes for my grandmother and of course had to lick a few spoons during the cooking. I didn’t actually have a cupcake though, but overall today I just feel weighed down. It’s amazing when you start to eat healthy how gross you feel when you splurge, even just a little bit.

Yesterday evening was fabulous. The dinner I made was deeeelish. I am going to post the recipe below. Everyone that at it LOVED it, which always makes me feel good. I love cooking for people, in my next life I might be a caterer. Like I said, the original recipe comes from one of my favorite blogs, A Year in the Kitchen, but I modified it slightly. Mainly just the crust, I’m not really big on making dough.

There really isn’t too much else to report on the home front. I feel boring today. So sorry for anyone that wanted something juicy this blog post. The recipe will be worth the lack of snark and news.

Chicken Curry Mango Pizza (I would post a picture, it was so pretty, but I can’t find my computer cord *sad face*)

1 c. plain low fat yogurt
1 tbsp. curry powder
1/2 lb. chicken tenders, diced (or if you are meatless, you can use tofu, I like the pre-marinated kind)
1 large piece of Naan (Indian bread, if you don’t know about it, google it, and RECANIZE, its delicious)
1/2 c. mango chutney
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 mango, diced
1 4oz container of crumbled goat cheese

Whisk together yogurt and curry powder
Fold in chicken tenders or tofu, refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Put Naan (I used 3 pieces) on to cookie sheet.
Top with chutney, onions and bell peppers.
Bake for about 3 minutes. Just keep an eye on the Naan so it doesn’t get too brown. I even used whole wheat to make it extra healthy!

While pizza cooks, preheat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
Add chicken, brown and cook through, about 6-8 minutes.

Take pizza out of the oven, turn broiler on.
Top pizza with mango, chicken and goat cheese.
Place under the broiler until cheese is melted. It may not look melted, because its crumbled, but it will get melty.

This recipe for anyone who likes Indian but doesn't live in a place where good takeout is readily available. Also anyone who has an adventurous palate and isn't afraid of trying new things. Don't be scared off by the curry, its really subtle and all these flavors work so well together.

So enjoy. I'm going to make a couple other pizzas pretty soon so stay tuned for more recipes (and pictures when I find the computer cord).

6 comments:

  1. That pizza sounds awesome. I love Indian food--it shouldn't shock me that you do too, but how did we go so many years without discussing this or at the very least getting an Indian meal? Do they not do Indian in Germany? Sorry. Rambling. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Nige... yea I don't know?? I don't remember ever eating Indian in Germany. Next time you are on the East Coast, we can go out for Indian. There are some good places in the DC metro area!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you say carrot cupcakes? I'll make a deal with you; if I can eat a dozen of those cupcakes, I'll run like six or seven miles with you.

    You're doing a great job and I believe in you! You looked great the last time I saw you, so this whole health kick is really showing. I might have to follow suit, but you better not veto my occausional hamburger, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww, my Healthnutasaurus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay so I can finally discuss odd German Cusine with people-no one every believes me when I try to tell them about Doner Kabob's. Remember those stands?!?! Seth thinks I'm nuts, he says they are gyro's, all though here they are served by a giant monkey-gew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha Healthnutasaurus... even your hamburgers are ok in moderation my dear. Plus feeding you is fun, just no more smokeasaurus :)

    ReplyDelete