Friday, June 12, 2009

"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends."

So, here we are, Day One. I haven’t decided whether it’s better to write at the beginning of the day to document all my plans or to write at the end of the day to document what I did. I guess I’ll figure it out as I go along.

Today was a good day, I’ll start with that. Watching your weight while simultaneously Mommying a three year old might be the most difficult form of multitasking. The thing about toddlers is that they require constant sustenance so there are always little snacks lying around. The running around part (aka Mommy Cardio) is the easy part. Between walking around the house all day picking up toys, or generally running around trying to keep her out of oncoming traffic, I manage to get it in. This is where having a very active three year old comes in handy. She loves walking, so we do a lot of that. And, as they often do, Princess Ants in her Pants always throws a cardio curve ball my way. Today, mid walk, she got tired. So I hoisted her up on my shoulders and walked. She was like a 40 pound little rucksack.

I also want to keep a list of what eat and when I concoct something delicious to tempt the taste buds I will provide a recipe. Eventually when I figure this whole blog thing out, I’ll link to a page of just recipes. So here’s my day one, mapped out below.

Breakfast

1 ½ pancakes and a bottle of water
This was actually not my plan, but after taking my Prima Ballerina to dance class, she insisted on pancakes. And for those of you who know me, you know that my pancakes are literally irresistible. So I didn’t put butter, just a little syrup and I only ate 1 and a half. According to Weight Watchers, that is somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-5 points. I’m not actually doing Weight Watchers, but it helps me at least keep track of my limits. For someone my weight, the daily points goal is around 26.

Lunch

Spicy Black Bean Burger with hummus, red bell peppers, and mushrooms on a whole wheat sandwich roll.
One nectarine
Lunch was a much more successful venture. I’ve found the easiest way to fill up is to load everything I eat with LOTS of veggies. I don’t cook them because the heat kills the nutrients (at least, that’s what I’ve read). Most veggies are only about a point and the black bean burger is only 2. All in all, I had about 5 points at lunch and was FULL FULL FULL.

Dinner

One slice of homemade pizza with a side salad.
I think the smartest thing to do when losing weight is to just stop eating out. The portions are huge, the calories are astronomical, and lets face it.. who really has the money to drop $50 on something you can make for $20 at home? At the end of the day, eating at home allows you to control the amount of fats and oils in your food, not to mention the portion control.

Tonight, I’ll turn on a movie and do my crunches and push ups. I don’t count, but I do a lot, until my body just can’t take it any more. I find that when I’m watching hot people on TV, it motivates me to work out harder. For example, “What is Justin doing with Jessica Biel? She’s not even that good looking. I’d totally be hotter than her if I lost weight. That’s what I’ll do, lose my weight, move to wherever JT is, wow him with my sweet dance moves, and we'll live happily ever after” ::cut to me crunching like a mad man:: Hey, it may seem ridiculous, but whatever works.

So that was my day. I’m just a healthy eatin’, Mommy cardio doing, Justin Timberlake stealin’ woman on a mission. I think each week I’ll update with how much weight I lost in the last week. I’m not ready to tell everyone “my number” yet. Some things, in my opinion, are just better left unsaid.

3 comments:

  1. Please, you can do better than Justin Timberlake. Aim higher Caroline. Aim higher! But whatever motivates the crunches. ;-) You've got me wanting to go to the gym! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Higher than Justin Timberlake? I'd say David Beckham, but I'm unable to get past his high pitched voice. Of course, I wouldn't really be in to him for deep conversation, HELLO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So snap, watch out guys...Caroline's on her way. Pretty soon, you'll have guys lining up at your door :)

    ReplyDelete